9.12.09

December Playlist

This is just a little 10 track play list of songs I've been on the buzz too whilst doing work and general walking to and from Uni and work.

1) Two Door Cinema Club - Undercover Martyn
- A really exciting new band. I saw them at Glastonbury after listening to just one track that I randomly found whilst on the lookout for something new. Truly fantastic and really excited to see them touring and playing at my place of work! (O2 Academy Sheffield - March)

2) Wild Beasts - Devil's Crayon
- This is quite an old one I've started listening to again. I forgot it's fantastically happy guitar riffs. A truly superb song.

3) Coldplay - We Never Change
- I really don't like how Coldplay are condemned to being "depressing". To be totally honest, sometimes, yes I agree they have a very downbeat sound, but I never feel depressed. There is something wonderfully pure about this song. It's simplicity is echoed by their ever intelligent arrangement and complimentary instrumental sound as well as some fantastic lyrics. Great song. This is a brilliant unofficial video made by a big fan of Coldplay. If I didn't know this I would have thought it was commissioned by them. Very impressed.

4) Bombay Bicycle Club - Dust on the Ground (Acoustic)
- I can not get enough of this band. They've only ever gone from strength to strength. Hardworking and exuding confidence they have made truly awe inspiring music so intelligent and beautifully arranged that they really compete with the bigger bands out there. I saw an acoustic set at the Record Collector in Sheffield and was blown away.

5) Life In Film - Carla
- I found this on YouTube through the "Watch. Listen. Tell." sessions that Bombay Bicycle Club featured on. I fell in love with it instantly. I will watch this band closely.

6) The XX - Heart Skipped A Beat
- Never have I been so impressed by a new band. I have listened to this album about 50 times since I got it about 2 weeks ago. It's not got old and I don't think it will for a very long time to come. If they don't get a Mercury Prize nomination at least I think I might cry. Too good to be true.

7) Hot Chip - And I Was A Boy From School
- Have to have an old classic in there. This is my favourite Hot Chip song. Completely individual and just the enthusiastic kick up the arse I need when I'm feeling like I can't be bothered to do any work. Everyone should be a fan and this is my favourite song! Great video too.

8) Tapes n' Tapes - Omaha
- This is a little song I like to listen to. Not particularly special, just simple, wonderful and happy. I like this band a lot and are definitely worth checking out. It's a jaunty little song and makes my head bob when I paint or are drawing things.

9) Bon Iver & St. Vincent - Roslyn
- I hate the fact that it is used in such an awful film and that the only thing that shows on screen is the poster for the awful film. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. Bon Iver are my favourite band. End of. I admit, I did shed a little bit of a tear when I saw them live for the first time on the Park Stage at Glastonbury over the summer. Purely amazing music. Beautiful and timeless. Utter Bliss. This is a collaboration of another artist I like. Shame about the film it was used for.

10) Passion Pit - Moth's Wings
- Although a little deterred by their performance at Glastonbury, Passion Pit are still a really great band. They have crafter a brilliant new album, so I look forward to seeing them live again, preferably at a venue over a festival. Lovely little chirpy happy song. Not sure if that video is genuine. Listen with your ears not your eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment